My daughter loves traditional Snickers apple salad with vanilla pudding, whipped cream, red and green apples, and Snickers candy bars. I was excited to tailor it to other flavors she likes by pouring coconut milk into the pudding and tossing in Butterfinger candy instead of Snickers.
But you’d have thought I added red beets.
Me: “Kalani, I made a special salad for you like the Snickers and apple salad you love but it has Butterfingers in it.”
Kalani: “Oh, I don’t really like Butterfingers that much. I like Snickers so that’s why I like that salad.”
Me: “Um, well, I was excited to make it for you because when we go to the Zesto, you always order a Butterfinger Avalanche with coconut and chocolate ice cream.”
Kalani: “Ya, well that’s because Snickers freeze when they are in ice cream and they are too hard to eat.”
Me: “OK. It’s in the refrigerator if you decide to try some. It has Honeycrisp and green apples.”
The next day…
Kalani: “That salad was actually really good!”
Me: “I’m glad you liked it! Could you taste coconut?”
Me: “If I make it again I’ll add more coconut milk. I didn’t use too much because I wasn’t sure if the taste would be too strong. I didn’t actually use coconut because I don’t like coconut.”
Butterfinger Apple Coconut Salad
- 1 cup cold coconut milk, find it in the Asian food section (do NOT use cream of coconut)
- ½ cup cold milk
- 3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 8 oz whipped cream like Cool Whip
- 2 Granny Smith apples , chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 11.5 oz Butterfinger candy bars , chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, whisk coconut milk and milk with pudding mix. Let it rest for 3 minutes.
- Fold in Cool Whip. Gently fold in chopped apples, candy bars, and coconut.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving. Best if eaten within 24 hours.
All text and images © Staci Mergenthal • Random Sweets