At Christmas time last year, my mom texted my two sisters and me asking what we’d like her to bake for our Christmas together. She used to bake so much during the winter holiday that she would stack containers full of sweet, gooey treats halfway up her attic steps. But now that we are older and have families, my sisters and I do a lot of our own baking, so mom doesn’t need to bake as much. We all answered back with our own, “please bake _____, ____ and ____, or Christmas won’t be the same” list, but the one goodie we all requested was her Forgotten Kisses.
I came across her recipe for Forgotten Kisses the other night and realized that after all these years of baking, I’ve never made them. They only take 15 to 20 minutes to whip up, and the bake time is “forgotten” in the oven so they are perfect to make before you go to bed or before you head out for the day. (They bake with the oven OFF.)
After I made a batch mom’s traditional way, I decided to try them with Andes Mint baking pieces. (You can read about my obsession with Andes Mints in my posts for Andes Mint Cheesecake, Chocolate Island Mint Bars and Brownie Crunch Mint Crispy Bars.) Although I really like the Forgotten Kisses using Andes Mints and my friends at work do too, my taste buds favor the traditional recipe using mini chocolate chips. Must be the sweet holiday memories.
What’s one of your favorite family recipes that you haven’t made yet?
- 2 egg whites
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup finely chopped pecans, or walnuts
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Add salt and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add sugar gradually. Beat 10 minutes. Gently fold in chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- Using two spoons, drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets or cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Turn oven OFF. Place cookie sheets in oven and close door. Leave in oven at least 2 hours or overnight.
All text and images © Staci Mergenthal • Random Sweets