After Your Trip to the Orchard, Make Caramel Apple Nut Bars
Caramel. Apples. Oatmeal. If you’ve already taken your annual trip to the apple orchard and like me, gotten carried away with how many apples you “needed” to buy, this is a delicious way to use one apple at a time. A special request from my little sister, Kalli, our favorite Caramel Apple Nut Bars from Betty Crocker.
If you have extra apples, make Snickers Apple Salad or Butterfinger Apple Coconut Salad.
Carmel Apple Nut Bars
Every time I make these bars, I share with my little sister. None of us can resist the caramel apple flavor.
- 1 9×13 pan
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature, 2½ sticks
- ½ cup caramel ice cream topping, or 1 bag of KRAFT caramels unwrapped and melted with ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, omit if using caramels
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped (1 cup)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans , optional
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of 13×9 pan, or use non-stick foil or parchment paper to line the pan.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and butter with mixer on low speed or mix with spoon until crumbly.
- Press 3 cups of mix in pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix caramel topping and 3 tablespoons of flour. (Or if using caramels, melt caramels with 1/4 cup evaporated milk and omit the flour.)
- Sprinkle apples and pecans over partially baked crust. Drizzle with caramel mixture. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting.
Calories: 220kcalCarbohydrates: 28gProtein: 2gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.4gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 200mgPotassium: 65mgFiber: 1gSugar: 17gVitamin A: 389IUVitamin C: 0.4mgCalcium: 36mgIron: 2mg
All text and images © Staci Mergenthal • Random Sweets
Tried this recipe?Mention @RandomSweets and tag #OurSweetMidwestLife
Making these right now! So excited to share with my family at my granddaughter’s birthday party! Her mom loves apple anything. Which is funny cuz I CRAVED hot apple pie and ice cream when I was pregnant with her. 🤣 Can’t wait to see what she thinks of these bars!!!
Ha ha, that’s awesome! Thank you for snapping me a photo – they look perfect. You must try the hot apple pie cocktail. https://randomsweets.com/2020/05/hot-apple-pie-cocktail/ You know, after the birthday party. 🙂
Can’t wait to make this for my folks when they arrive tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!
Sounds sweet! Did you have a chance to make the bars?