You wouldn’t think there could be too much caramel in a slab of cereal and marshmallows but unless you want to eat Rice Krispies caramel bars with a fork, resist the temptation to toss in extra chunks of caramel.
The recipe card handed down to me reads “1 pkg caramels.” I assumed bags of caramels, like bangs, were bigger back in the 80s. So I added extra and I was oozingly wrong.
If chocolate is more your thing, use Rice Krispies cereal to make Marshmallow Creme Crunch Brownies.
Rice Krispies Caramel Bars
- 11 oz caramels, unwrapped
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks)
- 20 oz mini marshmallows
- 14 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Line 9×13 pan with parchment paper. Butter generously. Or skip the paper and just butter the pan.
- In the microwave or on the stove top, melt together caramels, condensed milk, and 1 stick (8 tablespoons) of butter over low heat. Stir, stir, stir. Keep your eyes on it or it will burn.
- In a large bowl or saucepan, melt together marshmallows and 1 stick (8 tablespoons) of butter. Stir in cereal.
- Drop big spoonfuls of the marshmallow cereal mixture into the pan – only use half of the mix. Spray the back of a large spoon with cooking spray and use it to press the cereal into an even layer.
- Pour caramel over the layer.
- Drop spoonfuls of the remaining cereal on top of the caramel. Use the greased spoon again to press the cereal into an even layer.
- Let set at least four hours before cutting into squares. Eat within a day or two.
All text and images © Staci Mergenthal • Random Sweets