Puking Emojis, New Facebook Felationship Status, Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars, and Georgia Toffee
Since you continued reading even after seeing the title, I appreciate your sense of humor. Last week my sister and I decided we need a puking emoji (we suppose there’s one out there but it didn’t come loaded on our iPhones) and we would also like to see a new Facebook relationship status titled “married but he’s cheating on me.” We are confident it would be a commonly used selection. To be fair, if Facebook would like to make a “married but she’s cheating on me” status, we don’t discriminate.
On the sweeter side of this week, I made Paula Deen’s Georgia toffee (from my all-time favorite Paula Deen’s Chocolate Celebration special 2008 issue.)
And pumpkin chocolate chip cookies in a pan.
We make the pumpkin chocolate chip bars using my son’s favorite, soft pumpkin chocolate chip cookie, which are also quite fabulous as pumpkin whoopie sandwiches with marshmallow maple cream.
Pumpkin Chip Cookie Bars
- 1 15×10 pan
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, (3 sticks) softened to room temperature
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 15 oz pure pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie mix
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 15×10 pan.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars.
- Beat in the egg, pumpkin and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter in greased pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting into bars.
All text and images © Staci Mergenthal • Random Sweets
putting that Georgia Toffee on my list!
Hi Stephanie! Keep the ingredients on hand – it’s the simplest, quickest recipe to make and it is super delicious. It’s my favorite “oh crap I still need to make something to bring to work tomorrow and it’s already 10 p.m.” baked good. They take a long time to cool so overnight works perfectly.