Have you ever baked a new recipe, devoured the results, and then forgotten about it for a few years? That’s what happened with this amaretto pistachio Bundt cake. I made little Bundt cakes a few years ago, shared them at work, blogged the recipe, and then forgot about it even though the tender-crumb, amaretto-infused cakes were delicious.
Then, in April this year, my blog traffic for this recipe spiked and brought it back to my attention. I made it for a morning church retreat the day of Kalani’s baptism. Yes, cake for breakfast. The combination of sweet almond and salty pistachio is hard to resist. Plus, it’s simple to make because the base ingredients are yellow cake mix and instant pistachio pudding mix. I made it again the next weekend, sliced it, and froze individual pieces to grab any time we want a homemade bakery treat.
Here’s the cool thing about this recipe—you can use any flavor of cake mix, pudding mix, or liqueur you want. Let’s play the mix ‘n match game. How about chocolate cake mix, cheesecake instant pudding mix, and KAHLÚA? Tell me what you’d make in the comments below.
Since you already have a bottle of amaretto, you may also want to bake fudgy amaretto brownies and use them to make an impressive bowl of Italian Tuxedo Trifle.
Sweet and forgetful wishes,
Amaretto Pistachio Cake
- 15.25 oz yellow cake mix, for 13×9 pan size
- 6.8 oz instant pistachio pudding mix, 2 small boxes (3.4 ounces each)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup amaretto liqueur, or substitute with ½ cup water plus 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur, or substitute with ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup finely chopped pistachios, optional
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease Bundt pan (spray and sprinkle in some flour) or a 9×13 cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mixes, water, amaretto liqueur, eggs and vegetable oil. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into greased pan. For 9×13 pan or Bundt pan, bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Let cake rest in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto cooling rack and remove from Bundt pan. Cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar, butter, milk and amaretto in a small mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until combined. Add more milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Lightly sprinkle with chopped pistachios.
All text and images © Staci Mergenthal • Random Sweets