Every time I shred a rotisserie chicken, I wonder why I’m not vegetarian. So you can guess I’m not down with gnawing on hot wings because of the bones. And I don’t like dark meat.
But I love buffalo chicken – boneless buffalo white chicken with ranch dressing, buffalo wraps, buffalo chicken salads, the list goes on. But those dishes are often served with tangy blue cheese, not ranch dressing. That’s why this spicy, oh-so-creamy dip is a top pick for people who love ranch dressing with their fiery buffalo chicken, and people you’d never catch at the dinner table with an animal bone in their hands.
You’ll enjoy this dip hot or cold. I mostly like it hot on tortilla chips and Jason likes it more as a cold spread. At least we agree on our favorite tortilla chips; the same big, salty ones we use to scoop up hearty Chicken Black Bean Salsa.
Although this dip has never made it past the chips in our house, it is addicting and you may find yourself craving it every day for every meal. Of course you could wrap it up in a morning burrito, but here are some ideas to use this dip in recipes that will carry you through evening meals and midnight snacks:
- Grilled buffalo chicken cheese sandwiches.
- Tower of buffalo chicken nachos with veggie toppings.
- Buffalo chicken panini.
- Buffalo chicken & ranch quesadilla.
- Enchiladas with creamy buffalo chicken ranch filling.
- Croissant roll-ups.
- Buffalo chicken taquitos.
- Buffalo chicken pizza, topped with crunchy vegetables and baked until hot and bubbly.
Here’s how you make my favorite buffalo ranch chicken dip (or, you can melt it all in a crockpot):
In a large pan over low heat, slowly melt the cream cheese, stirring until silky and melty. You don’t want any chunks of cream cheese. Keep in pan on low.
In a bowl, stir together the wing sauce (Hooters is our favorite) and the ranch dressing.
Add to the melted cream cheese and stir until everything is mixed together well.
Add the shredded cheeses to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon until the cheese is melted and the dip is well combined.
Toss in the shredded chicken and stir.
The dip is done. Here’s where you get to decide what you want to do with it. I usually eat some now. And then I put it in a big bowl with a lid and put it in the refrigerator. If it’s a casual weekend around the house, Jason will eat it when it’s cold and I’ll reheat some on the stove and eat it again. And again.
If I’m bringing the dip to a party, I’ll keep it hot in a crockpot. If I’m entertaining at home, I’ll either bake it at 350° until it gets a hot, bubbly crust, or serve it sizzling from a crockpot.
Any way you serve it, this is what it will look like when you’re done.
Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 12 oz Buffalo wing sauce
- 1 cup prepared ranch salad dressing , like Hidden Valley Ranch
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 8 oz Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
- 1½ cups fully cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
- tortilla chips, bagels, crusty bread, or crackers for serving
- In a large pan over low heat, slowly melt the cream cheese, stirring until creamy and melty. You don't want any chunks of cream cheese. Keep in pan on low.
- In a bowl, stir together the wing sauce and the ranch dressing. Add to the melted cream cheese and stir until everything is mixed together well.
- Add the shredded cheeses to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon until the cheese is melted.
- Toss in the shredded chicken and stir. Cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold. Store in airtight container in refrigerator up to four days.
All text and images © Staci Mergenthal • Random Sweets