Cap’n Crunch® cereal in a cookie? I know, I know–it sounds strange, but back in May when C&H Sugar posted the recipe on Twitter, I knew I HAD to try it. These have some of my favorite ingredients: chocolate, toffee bits, oatmeal, peanut butter and cereal! I made a double batch for my son’s 9th birthday party and all but a few were eaten by the end of the night (the cookies, not the kids). They were a big hit with the kids and adults. This weekend I had a chance to make them again.
Full recipe and ingredient list below. Beat the first six ingredients until it’s creamy. For better mixing, bring your egg to room temperature before beating.
Mix the flour, soda and salt together before adding it to the creamy mixture. Please note: I used half the amount of salt that it calls for in the recipe. The first time I made these, I could “taste” the salt in them so this time, I used half as much. They are even better this way. And, it’s probably the only time in my life I’ve gone easy on the salt…
And now, it’s time for the Cap’n Crunch®! Add the three cereals: Cap’n Crunch®, Oatmeal (not instant) and Rice Krispies® cereal (sorry about that Krispies, I haven’t even mentioned you until now. You are the star in your own “treats” so let’s give the Cap’n the spotlight in this one.)
By now the dough is getting pretty stiff so you’ll want to stir the last two ingredients–chocolate chips and toffee pieces–with a wooden spoon or spatula. The recipe calls for mini chocolate chips but I didn’t have any so I used regular. I do suggest using mini though if you can because the dough is really chunky and it’s easier to shape using mini chips.
And now the dough is ready to put on the pans. This dough is crumbly so instead of dropping the dough by spoonful, they hold together better if you roll them into a ball and then lightly flatten the tops with a spoon. You want to make sure you do that because these cookies don’t spread out at all while baking so you’ll end up with a “mound” instead of a cookie. Yep–learned that from experience.
Chocolate Chip Crunchewy Cap’n Crunch Cookies
- ¾ cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg, large
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats, not quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup Cap'n Crunch cereal
- 12 oz mini semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup toffee bits
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine shortening, brown sugar, milk, peanut butter, vanilla and egg on medium speed until creamy.
- Add flour, salt, and baking soda and combine. Add oats. Stir in Rice Krispies, Cap’n Crunch, chocolate chips and toffee bits.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets. Using a spoon, slightly flatten the tops of the cookies. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on the sheets for two minutes; then cool completely on cooling rack.
All text and images © Staci Mergenthal • Random Sweets