Like speed limits, recipes are merely suggestions for when normal conditions exist. But who defines normal conditions? Maybe you never have a box of Chex cereal (or three) in your cupboard when you have the hankering to make traditional Chex Muddy Buddies so you have to think outside the box. Why not make puppy chow, also known as people chow, with the traditional peanut butter, chocolate chips, and powdered sugar but use your favorite cereals?
In my most recent batch, I folded in Golden Grahams, Corn Pops, and Corn Chex cereals for an even tastier version of puppy chow. I planned to toss in chow mein noodles but I forgot to add them. Did you know that if you store puppy chow in an airtight container in the refrigerator it stays crunchy longer?
You might also like Corn Pops Clusters.
If you have a box of Golden Grahams cereal, reserve four cups to make what will become a fight-over-the-last-piece family favorite Marshmallow Creme Crunchy Graham Brownies.
Of course there’s always a special version of Chex Mix Like You Mean It.
May your recipes feel like suggestions,
Hodgepodge Puppy Chow
- 9 cups combination of your favorite cereals and maybe chow mein noodles
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, 4 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups powdered confectioners sugar
- Put all the cereal in a big bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat melt chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter together. Stir until melted and creamy. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal and toss until all the cereal is drenched in chocolate.
- Using a 2 or 2.5 gallon plastic zipper bag, dump in 1/2 cup powdered sugar, chocolate coated cereal, and top with remaining 1 cup powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake it until everything is coated with powdered sugar (everything in the bag, not your kitchen).
- Spread the cereal mixture onto a sheet of wax paper until cooled. Store in airtight container.
All text and images © Staci Mergenthal • Random Sweets